Welcome!



Welcome to "Can I Be Frank?"

Excited to announce that the blog has now evolved into a BOOK! The first book, Can I Be Frank?: An Auto-BLOG-graphy is now available in print and an eBook. You can purchase the print version for $16.95 (and the eBook for $3.99) at Barnes & Noble and Amazon websites

Click here to purchase Can I Be Frank?: An Auto-BLOG-raphy

A portion of the proceeds from The Auto-BLOG-raphy will be donated to several charities that work to cure Autism and Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

Thank you for reading!

Thursday, October 11, 2012

38


What is the significance of the number 38?
38 is the atomic number of strontium
38 Special was the name of a southern rock band (and a gun)
 
38 is the number of surviving William Shakespeare plays
38 is the number of slots in an American Roulette wheel
38 was the number worn by flat-broke Red Sox legend Curt Schilling
Honestly, I don’t give a crap about any of that. 
38 is the age I turn today and I am not happy about.
“Age is just a number!”
“You are as young as you feel!”
Shutup.  It is a just a number…a number higher than I want to be.  As far as how I feel?  I feel old as dirt.
This may be the first birthday that I am truly I not happy to look in the eye.  There is nothing special, cool or fun about turning 38.  I am that much closer to 40, that much farther from 30…and cripes, my 20s might as well be the Mesolithic period.  Outside of my 94 year old grandmother, no one will EVER say, “You know Frank, young guy from Sector 7-G,” anymore (Simpsons reference, by the way, for you young guns).  Uh uh.  No way.  Kids in their twenties have innocently called me “Sir” and “Mr.” Beat it you punks!
Let’s look back at history and review just why this so called “number” flat out stinks….at least for me.
30 Years Ago
Age 8.  Honestly, could life be any better than it is for an 8 years old?  Memory is a little fuzzy, but I am fairly certain I had some kick ass birthday party with random friends I hardly remember, strange clothing, a punch bowl and pin the tail on the donkey (interestingly, sounds more like my 21st).  Second grade, Mrs. Leney’s class.  The best.  School was fun.  Little League was king. I could run and play all day long.  Never get tired.  Not a care in the world.  Xanadu.

20 Years Ago
Age 18.  Are you kidding?  18 was almost as good as 8!  Senior year of high school.  Gearing up for a parent-free existence in college.  Playing football.  Chasing (notice I did not say “catching”) girls.  I was actually eligible to vote for President (you are very welcome, Slick Willy Clinton).  It was like the hounds were finally released!

10 Years Ago
Age 28.  Life was still rocking pretty good.  Married.  Had my first child.  Job was going well.  Bought a house.  Bought a car.  No gray hairs in site.  Waist line was ‘reasonable’.  This aging thing ain’t so bad?
You seeing the pattern here?  For the most part, life on the 8s had been a relatively smooth ride.  Then I woke up this morning and looked into (an apparent Fun House) mirror at 38.  Yuck.
Where to begin, where to begin?
Let’s examine a few of the major dimensions of life…

Physical
Well, the fact that I started my day with some blood work and the refilling my blood pressure medication can’t be a good sign? And unlike the 8 year old “me” I cannot run all day.  For that matter I get winded carrying the laundry basket from the basement to the second floor.  Really winded.  How about the used jalopy I call a body?  While I am blessed with some good genetics no one is mistaking me for Adam Levine when I walk down the street.  Lucky enough to have my hair, it now looks like a salt shaker fell on my head while I slept.  Those bulges you see are not muscles…they are moles (I think?).  OK, I need to jump topics.
Mental
I used to love to read and learn.  I greatly enjoyed history and politics.  I would seek new avenues to expand my horizons.  Now…not so much.  Reading the comics, doing the Celebrity News Quiz in People and DVR-ing the latest episode of Modern Family is not likely going to get me a nomination into the local MENSA chapter.

Spiritual
To quote Bishop Pickering in Caddyshack, “There is no God,”  Kidding, just a little jaded today.
Anyway…remember the movie City Slickers starring Bill Crystal.  Lost in mid-life crises (that’s what the trailer actually reads!  ‘MID-LIFE’!), Crystal and his close friends hit the open range and drive a herd of cattle for his birthday.  What birthday was it?  Yeah, that’s right, his 38th.
Pretty sure a cattle drive is not in my plans for the day, but I did DVR Modern Family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment